I'm not feeling too well today. I must have gotten some bad Mexican yesterday for lunch, because my stomach...
...well, let's just say I have a bit of a tummy ache.
When I don't feel well, and when my stomach is turning itself inside-out, one of the few foods I can eat and actually keep down is oatmeal. And even when I'm feeling fine, I enjoy a hot bowl of oatmeal for breakfast or early lunch. It's good stuff. This is my favorite recipe for it...it's simple enough to make when you feel like crap, and it's tasty enough to enjoy anytime.
The Best Damn Bowl of Oatmeal Ever
1 cup instant rolled oats
1-3/4 cups apple juice or cider
1/4 cup milk
half an apple, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon maple syrup
Combine all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl (a one-quart dish with a lid works best). Microwave on High for a couple of minutes, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir, then microwave on High for another 90 seconds, adding more apple juice if needed (I like mine thick, like mashed potatoes.) Stir in your favorite toppings; I recommend butter, slivered almonds, brown sugar, and/or raisins. Let stand for 2 or 3 minutes, then serve with a tall glass of ice-cold milk.
This recipe technically makes 2 servings, but I always eat the whole batch myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment